Best TV Show That I Just Watched

Best TV Show That I Just Watched
Parks & Recreation

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Jumping back in- Oscar night and predictions

What better nightfor me to start blogging again than Oscar Night? This is my Super Bowl night.
I have not seen as many nominated films this year as I would have liked, a fractured radial head in my right arm contributed to that, but I am still excited.
Right now, the only 2 nominations that I really care about are Ben Burtt for sound for WALL-E. Most sound people only have between 700 & 1000 sounds to make and mix even for the huge action blockbusters. For WALL-E, Burtt had almost 3000! Ben Burtt, for those who don't know, created all of the sound for the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Jurassic Park films. T-Rex roar? Burtt. Light sabers and alien languages? Burtt. Giant rolling boulder and ark hum? Burtt. He is one of my personal idols and deserves each of these awards.
Although I have absolutely no problem with Heath Ledger winning Best Supporting Actor for the Joker (it is an acting tour de force that will go in cinema history), I think Robert Downey, Jr.s performance in Tropic Thunder was so layered, perfect, and hysterical, that he is my actual pick.
I want Danny Elfman to win for best score, but A.R. Rahman will win for Slumdog, and, for that award, I am okay with Slumdog picking it up.
The toughest part of the night will be the 'In Memoriam' section. 3 of my idols have died this year, and it will be rough seeing their names in that list this year- Paul Newman, George Carlin, and Stan Winston. The first 2 you probably know and the third you should. Stan Winston created some of tghe most recognizeable live action effects in film history. T-Rex, Terminator, Iron Man, Galaxy Quest, Predator, Aliens, Edward Scissorhands- all Stan.
Yesterday in preperation for the Oscars, we caught Slumdog Millionaire and Frost/Nixon. I will give more in-depth reviews later this week for them both, but I was blown away by Frost/Nixon, and thought that Slumdog was just 'Meh" for a Best Picture nominee. It was a fun show that I enjoyed, but it would be like putting Sleepless in Seattle up for a Best Picture. Slumdog was contrived and nothing special.
Frost/Nixon however, was amazing in the same way that Apollo 13 was- even though the outcome was known, it was still absorbing and you were left breathless with anticipation at scenes. The acting was top notch (I was upset that Langella earned a nomination and Sheen didn't until the final 15 minutes when Langella just rocked). There was drama and also, a surprising amount of humor. I have yet to see Benjamin Button , The Reader, or Milk, but I can't imagine any of those films being any better than Frost/Nixon.
I will say, though that Dark Knight and WALL-E were still probably better than Frost/Nixon, but, since I can't vote for the Oscars, who am I to talk?
I am going to try to blog about my reactions as the show happens, but, if not, look for an update tomorrow.

No comments: