Best TV Show That I Just Watched

Best TV Show That I Just Watched
Parks & Recreation

Monday, October 1, 2012

My Last Promise to my dad and Uncle Gary

So, it has been almost 28 months since my dad died. His brother, Gary, died about 4 years before him. Gary was not a member of the LDS Church and so, only about 5 hours before my dad died, he asked me a question. He asked me the question and then he went to sleep for about half an hour. I had a feeling that my dad was fighting to stay alive a bit longer and I had an inkling that if I answered the question, then he would probably die. The question? When I die, will Gary be able to meet me since he is not a member? My dad was not so concerned about his actual death, it didn't seem like, he was more concerned about seeing his brother who had died a few years previous. When my dad woke up, I talked to him about it. By this time, he didn't really have the strength to hold his head upright a lot, and so he mostly looked down and would either nod or shake his head. I told him that when he died, Gary would be able to be there to meet him and that he would have the opportunity to teach gary The Gospel. I explained that he would be able to be by Gary and be a family again with his mom and dad and Georgie, a brother who had died at a very young age. My dad nodded the entire time, so I knew he understood me. After I got done explaining it, he looked at me, thanked me, told me he loved me and squeezed my hand very softly. He then asked me if I could make sure that Gary got his temple work done. I gave him my word that I would. That was the last actual conversation I had with him. I kissed him goodnight and got him more ice, but that was the last meaningful conversation we had. My father-in-law is a geneologist and I told this to him, and, at my dad's funeral, he gave me my Uncle Gary's "temple card" so that I could go and get the ordinances done for him. A lot happened in the next month and somewhere along the way, I lost the card. In July of 2011, I asked him to reprint the card, and he did. In May of 2012, Aleisha went and watched as I got baptized for my Uncle Gary. I felt an amazing peace as I did so. After, while I was getting dressed, I couldn't help but cry at the amazing feeling I had. In August of 2012, I had a goal to finish my book and get gary's ordinances done by my 40th birthday on September 6th. An illness, a pre-planned trip and a very major work project kept me from doing it, so I pushed those 2 major goals off to September 30th. On September 22nd, I had a lot of things on my list of stuff to do for the day (shopping, writing, housework)- none of it was a "bad" choice, but I couldn't decide what I wanted to do. I then had a distinct impression to "go to the Oquirrh Hills temple and do the initiatory and endowment for Gary. So, I got dressed and went. The timing was perfect. I was rushed a bit once I got there to make it in time for the sessions, but I made it with no extra time and I got home almost exactly 3 hours after I had left and I didn't have one moment of downtime in that 3 hours. I was kept moving, but I was able to do it. During the initiatory, I started crying the second that I was ordained a member of the Priesthood for my uncle and said his name during the blessing. I didnt hear one other word during the initiatory, to be honest. I felt that he was there with me and knew that he knew what I was doing. Friday, September 28th, I got home from work and was writing while Aleisha slept. When she woke up, I knew that we had a chance to do the sealing of Gary to his parents and complete Gary's ordinances. Even though I wanted to keep writing, I knew that this was more impportant, so I asked Aleisha to go with me and she said yes. We got there and took a bunch of other names for sealing. Again, we got right in and, as it came time to do Gary, I wanted to stand in for him. Aleisha was asked if she wanted to be proxy for my Grandmother. Aleisha asked me if she wanted to, and I said, "Sure, why not?" Another girl in the session stated that she would want to and Aleisha turned and said, "Well, she was a little crazy so we are hoping this helps." Aleisha ended up being proxy for my Grandma and I was proxy for Gary. Again, I could feel many others in the room with us, specifically gary and my dad. Now, the parents are sealed to 3 of their children. The other 2 are still alive and not members, either at this time. It took a while, but my last promise to my dad has been completed and now, there is nothing stopping the 2 brothers from being together again. Now, it is up to Uncle Gary. I love you, Daddy and Uncle Gary.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your story testimony...and you. Aleisha