Best TV Show That I Just Watched

Best TV Show That I Just Watched
Parks & Recreation

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Movie Review- Stay Alive

First- let me explain.

We have a neighbor who comes and borrows our washer and dryer for a huge comforter that she has. I have made a pledge that unless it actually ruins a plan we have (she wants it done that night and we are about ready to walk out the door for vacation- and yes that has happened), then I will do it for her whenever she asks. Last night, as I was getting ready to crash for the evening because I was exhausted, she came over and asked me to do it. I agreed and told her to come back in 2 1/2 hours. I told her that to give me a little leeway in case I zonked for a bit inbetween the switching from washer to dryer. So- I picked a crappy little horror movie because of all of the musical stings and jump scares. I figured that, if I did crash, one of those would wake me up enough to be able to help the neighbor.

So- Stay Alive-

For what it is, I actually liked it. The basic premise is- there is a video game that once you start playing it, if you die in the game, you die in real life. Just not playing the game doesn't help because it takes itself off pause and plays without you until you die. Of course there is a spirit that must be put to rest to win the game- and stay alive!
The acting is decent , again, for what it is. There is the over-the-top stoner buddy for comic relief, the too-serious leading man with a history that he will have to overcome in the climax, the screaming female, the serious goth female who gets the answers for the group but dies before the climax, and on and on. The actors do what is needed for the role, but nothing more.
There is not much gore, except in one flashback, so this is not for gorehounds, either.
Nothing great to be sure, but when you're expecting absolute crap and you get a few scenes that are genuinely creepy because of the visuals and atmosphere- I have to give it a little credit. I would not highly recommend it, but, if you're looking for a horror film, you could definitely do worse.
By the way, I saw the extended cut, and apparently, the PG-13 rated version has 15 minutes less than what I saw. Based on what I have heard was cut, the PG-13 probably will not make much sense.

Stay Alive-

film rating- 2
movie rating- 5

No comments: